5/18/12

DIY Headboard from Table Top



This is another project that Jeff tackled a while back.  He turned a no longer needed table into this great looking headboard for no money at all!  The dining table was a gift from his parents for his 21st birthday and it had been well used over the last 10 years.  Oddly enough, I don't have a picture of it, but this picture is of a similar table.  Ours is just a bit bigger (it sat 6) and was not painted white.  
Coaster Damen Rectangular Dining Table in Warm Natural and White Wood
i lost the source for this picture!

Jeff created the headboard by first removing the legs of the table (which required just unscrewing them from the tap top). 
He then sanded the table to remove the glossy layer.  
Next he stained the table with a dark brown stain.  Because the table was made with laminate wood, the stain did not take like it normally does, which at first was a disappointment, but then we decided we liked the unique look of it.  


Next, for a little flair, Jeff used a nail set to create an A (our last name starts with an A).  He found a font he liked on the computer, printed it out, taped it to the table/headboard, and hammered away.



To hang it on the wall, Jeff screwed a 2x2 into the studs on the wall.  Then he screwed the lip of the table (which you can see in the next picture) into the ledger board.  


I love the way it turned out.  It has this rustic modern feel to it because of the way the stain took to the table.



23 comments:

  1. Very unique! Love the added initial. (and I also had that very table! eek!!)

    Thanks for linking up to Simply Klassic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so clever! I don't think I've ever seen a headboard made from a tabletop before and now I'm wondering why :) The initial and the stain look awesome!

    Love the chevron pillow, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! And I really like the rustic wood with the bedding so pretty. Your latest follower , Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya, and thanks for following....heading over to check out your blog!

      Delete
  4. Love that "a" that is on there! Hopped on over from the Tatortots and Jello link up party! Going to check out more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! Hope you enjoy it :) I'll go find yours

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful way to recycle!! Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THat is genius! I think I have that table too!!! Thanks for sharing and I am a new follower!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following. I'll go check out your blog.

      Delete
  7. Incredible!! I never would have guessed that was a table. And, seriously, how many people have that exact table??

    I'm sharing on FB and pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing! I would never have thought to use a table for a headboard, but it turned out great! It sounds like our husbands are very similar! I would love for you to link this up to our Pinteresting LInk Party! http://herestohandyandy.blogspot.com/2012/05/pinteresting-link-party-week-40.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Liz. I will check out your party if I didnt already miss it.

      Delete
  9. I LOVE this but it makes me sooooooooo sad. I had a kitchen table that I absolutely loved but we had to sell it when we moved to our current home because it was too big for our kitchen. I hated getting rid of that table, I tried everything to make it work. I wish I would have thought of something like this! Very creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. someone mentioned they see these tables at garage sales all the time. :)

      Delete
  10. This is awesome!! I am featuring you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just too cool - and it's beautiful!!! I have this linked to my headboards post as well today, for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your hands have magic. Beautifully done.

    countertops ca

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'll be doing the same to my tabletop as well! :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete